Would you know what to do with the car if a downpour falls in a few minutes causing a flood?
Unfortunately, floods in the country are becoming more frequent. In safety, we believe that given the circumstances, it is important that you keep in mind some tips that can help you take care of the car and travel safely, in case of heavy rain.
Do not miss the NOs, which will help you take care of the car in case of flood!
The 15 things you DO NOT have to do in case of flood:
Many times out of desperation, in situations of danger and / or stress, the human being tends to act in an irrational and wrong way. we want to give you tools that will help you if you are facing heavy rains, or flooded streets, so you are prepared to act in the right way and thus, overcome the difficulty can take care of the car.
You can give at least three events, and before each of them, in our opinion what you should NOT do are the following things:
Situation one: it starts to rain heavily
1) Do not travel through flooded or flooded areas (streets with large puddles). It can be very useful to look for road information on the radio, television or internet, as they will offer you details of which streets are still accessible to travel with the car.
2) A very dangerous maneuver that many drivers usually execute, is to drive at a higher speed to get faster to destination. No! Visibility decreases, as does braking ability, etc. Go calm, at normal speed, you will arrive safely to destination.
3) A NOT GIANT is not respecting the prudential distance to other cars. Losing control of the vehicle in rainy conditions is much simpler, so you should be more cautious and attentive than usual.
4) Another not huge, is not to slow down if you go en route. If you go on the road and step on a puddle or the asphalt is mirrored, you can overturn, putting your life at risk and that of those who accompany you in the car. If you drive on the road with rain, do it slowly.
5) If the rain is torrential and visibility decreases a lot, do not hesitate to turn on the beacons.
Situation two: the street begins to flood
6) You should not keep the car on, as this can affect the engine, transmission, suspension, among other parts of the vehicle’s mechanical / electrical system. So you know, if the street is flooded and you have no option to get out of there, the ideal thing is to turn off the engine and wait for it to go down into the water.
7) If the water is too much, DO NOT FOLLOW DRIVING. As in the previous point we said, stop in the highest possible place and turn off the engine. It is a better way to take care of the car.
8) Do not go through a street that carries a lot of water, keep in mind that you do not see what is in the bottom and you can fall into a deeper well.
Situation three: your car was parked while the flood happened
9)Do not start the car if it was flooded. Go to a mechanic.
10)You can not forget to take photos of the material damage that was caused in the vehicle. These images can be used at the time of reporting the claim to the insurance. We invite you to read: What is the responsibility of insurance against natural disasters?
11) If you live in a place where natural disasters (floods, heavy gusts, etc.) happen occasionally, you can not count on a basic policy. Our recommendation is that you hire an insurance that protects you before the mentioned situations.
12) Do not take the necessary measures to prevent the situation from getting worse. For example, if the windows are broken try to put a cardboard, plastic or cloth so that the pieces do not fall.
13) Do not use hair dryer or similar items to dry the car. It is dangerous and you can burn the upholstery.
14) A big mistake is not to take the car to a mechanical review after having been covered by water. It may seem that everything is perfect and dry … but remember that water produces rust, may have been cast in oil, etc. Better, before you start using the car, take it to a mechanic for a review.
15) Do not call insurance. After a flood, as we said, do not start the car. You have a contracted insurance, call the insurer and I asked for a crane to take the vehicle to your home or a mechanical workshop, so you do not risk the car trying to start it.
Now you are ready to face the situations mentioned.